powered by AFI
Peter B. Kyne's novel originally appeared in Red Book in August 1918. According to Warner Bros. press material, San Hedrin, the setting of the novel, was patterned after Eureka, CA., where the film was actually shot. Additional scenes were shot in Orick, north of Eureka and in the redwood groves. Press material credits Max Steiner with the music although Adolph Deutsch is credited onscreen. The thirty-foot dam destroyed in the film was built on the Van Duzen river at Bridgeville, CA. Footage from Warner Bros.' 1937 film God's Country and the Woman was also used. Warner records reveal that Henry O'Neill was tested for the part of McKenzie, Dick Foran and Allen Jenkins for Ox, John Litel for Sheriff, Russell Simpson for Hendricks and Gloria Dickson for Lee. The project was originally assigned to Ray Enright, who was replaced by William Keighley. The film was re-issued in 1948. Valley of the Giants was one of four 1938 films which Warner Bros. shot in Technicolor, all of which lost money except for The Adventures of Robin Hood, the success of which encouraged the studio to use color again. Other versions of Kyne's novel include a 1919 film The Valley of the Giants produced by Paramount starring Wallace Reid (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1911-20; F1.4707) and the 1927 First National film of the same title directed by Charles J. Brabin and starring Milton Sills (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films 1921-30; F2.6016).