- The title refers to the number of movies Federico Fellini had directed up until that point - six features and three short (1/2) films (for a total of 7 1/2). So this one is number 8 1/2.
- The film's working title was "La Bella Confusione", "The Beautiful Confusion".
- Fellini attached a note to himself below the camera's eyepiece which read, "Remember, this is a comedy."
- Was the basis for the Broadway Musical "Nine", which won the Tony for best musical in 1982.
- At one point, Fellini wanted to cast Laurence Olivier in the lead role.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute