- Director Howard Hughes (I) had all of the prints tinted and hand-colored before releasing them for general distribution.
- This film cost $3.8 million, so expensive that it made no profit on its first release.
- Howard Hughes hired WWI aces to fly the planes but also flew one himself; he crashed shortly after his first takeoff and broke several bones.
- Three pilots died during shooting.
- 249 feet of film were shot for every 1 foot used in the final cut.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute